The Health Services Union NSW is protecting HSU members by providing members with accident journey insurance.
Despite a hard fought union campaign the New South Wales Workers Compensation Legislation Amendment Bill 2012 was rammed through Parliament on 19th June 2012 by the NSW Liberal Government.
The legislation effectively removed workers compensation coverage for most employees travelling to and from their place of employment.
With this in mind, the HSU is now offering accident journey insurance for financial members of the Union to ensure that HSU members are covered if injured on the journey to and from work.
HSU accident journey insurance provides HSU financial members with:
- Income support of up to 85% of a member’s weekly wage (including any allowances, penalties, overtime etc. averaged over the previous 12 months) up to a maximum of $1500 per week.
Benefit period of up to 104 weeks.
- Death & capital benefits up to $100,000.
- Fixed payments for specified injuries.
- Members are not required to use their own leave entitlements except for the first 14 days following a journey accident.
- For a limited time only, new members will be covered as soon as they join.
Weekly benefits will be paid fortnightly where the period off work is expected to be at least two weeks or longer.
How to claim
Who can claim accident journey insurance?
To be entitled to the benefits of the policy you must be a current financial member of the Health Services Union. It is important to note that you must be a full member of the union at the time of the accident to be covered under this policy. Pre-existing conditions are not insured.
The benefit ceases when a financial member reaches 75 years of age.
How to claim accident journey insurance
- In the first instance, you must complete an accident journey insurance claim and send it to our insurance broker.
- A claim form is available below, or contact us on 1300 478 679 for assistance.
- When making a claim for journey insurance, members must also make a workers’ compensation claim at the same time.
- The union will arrange for you to visit the union solicitors to determine if there is a possible claim under workers’ compensation.
- Please be aware that when submitting a new claim you must provide all supporting documentation of your incident.
As a member of the HSU, this insurance is now provided at no additional cost to you.
If you are not already a member of the HSU, you can gain immediate coverage by joining today
If you need to make a claim, you will need to download a copy of this PDF and complete each of these forms:
Send the completed forms to:
Marsh Pty Ltd
PO Box H176
Australia Square NSW 1215
Tel: 02 8864 8365 (Local call cost Australia Wide)