Laverty Pathology: PPE and COVID-19 Safety Procedures
Published September 20, 2021
Over the past few months, one of our highest priorities has been the safety of our COVID-19 collectors. We believe that as frontline workers during an ongoing pandemic, you deserve safer working conditions, better protections and a stronger voice. Importantly, the HSU has made progress on issues such as:
- The supply of PPE
- Safe disposal of biohazardous materials
- Adequate toilet facilities, designated meal rooms, and storage space
While our representation in these efforts has been strongest within the Sydney metro area, we want to hear from members in regional NSW.
The HSU has been engaging with members about COVID safety procedures that affect not only COVID collectors, but also couriers, laboratory workers, and blood/pathology collectors. We are continuing consultation with Laverty around:
- Improved guidelines and procedures for when an employee has tested COVID-positive and has been infectious while at work
- Safety from patients who refuse to follow health orders and guidelines
- Consultation with employees and with their union before major workplace change is introduced.
To continue addressing collective matters like these, we need your active participation. To get involved, or if you have any questions or concerns, please contact your organiser at [E-Mail not displayed].
Our effectiveness and negotiation power depend on the strength and density of our membership. Know someone who isn’t yet a member? Tell them to join today and have their say! New members can join the HSU at www.hsu.asn.au/join or call 1300 HSU NSW and join over the phone.