Premier Perrottet’s $1.2b election gamble on health ahead of NSW vote
PublishedMarch 9, 2023
The Australian, 5 March 2023
Dominic Perrottet has promised to deliver 20 new hospitals and healthcare facilities, including a $260 million upgrade of Concord Hospital, if the Liberal National government is re-elected later this month.
Less than three weeks before heading to the polls, the Premier and outgoing Health Minister Brad Hazzard on Sunday touted a promised $1.2 billion healthcare spend.
The government has sought to make health an election issue, accusing Labor of attempting to stonewall key projects such as the Tweed Valley Hospital.
“Since 2011, the Liberal and Nationals have delivered more than 180 health infrastructure projects across NSW, with more than 130 projects currently underway,” Perrottet said.
“This major $1.2 billion investment will see a further 20 hospitals and health facilities built or upgraded right across the state, future-proofing our health system and ensuring our communities continue to have access to world-class healthcare.
“As part of this investment, $260 million will be allocated for stage two of the Concord Hospital redevelopment.
“These critical investments in health infrastructure are only possible thanks to the Liberal and Nationals long-term economic plan to keep our state moving forward.”
Mr Hazzard said that health staff were “desperately” waiting for a stage two redevelopment of Concord Hospital, in inner-western Sydney.
The $341m stage one, which opened earlier this year, delivered over 200 beds, an aged care and rehabilitation service and cancer care centre.
“Stage two is what (healthcare workers) have told us they want, to make sure we have a world-class facility here in every way for the growing Concord community,” Hazzard said.
“If re-elected we anticipate this hospital will be up and constructed within about three-and-a-half to four years. And that is the speed at which our government delivers new health facilities.”