Award variation application made by NSW Health Pathology

As advised in newsletter 33 sent 19 January 2021, the HSU is currently in dispute with NSW Health Pathology (NSWHP) about the payment of Laboratory Managers and Senior Hospital Scientists throughout the state. This dispute is ongoing, and we will continue to fight for the rights of members who we believe have been underpaid.

In the meantime, NSWHP and the Ministry of Health have filed an application in the Industrial Relations Commission of NSW to vary the Hospital Scientists (State) Award and the Health Professional and Medical Salaries (State) Award to drastically change the classification structure for senior scientist positions. 

The proposal by NSWHP and the Ministry would see the classifications of Chief Hospital Scientist, Senior Hospital Scientist In-Charge of Section, and Senior or Chief Hospital Scientist In-Charge of Laboratory deleted from the Award and replaced with a new classification called Medical Scientist Manager.

You can see a summary of the changes to pay structure at this link.

You can see all of the documents filed by NSWHP and the Ministry of Health as part of their Award variation application at this link.

We know the classification problems for members working in NSWHP are not limited to senior positions but also affect Scientists, Technical Officers, Technical Assistants and others.

We want to see positive changes to our Awards that address the problems that our members face, not changes that simply favour the employer. Given the significant implications that any proposal to change your award will have for your pay and conditions, it is vital that you have your say. That is why we are asking all members to:

  1. Review the documents provided with this newsletter;
  2. Send any written feedback you have about the proposal made by NSWHP and the Ministry of Health, or other changes you want to see to the Awards, to [E-Mail not displayed];
  3. Let us know if you would like to be part of a committee to help us consider proposals to change the Award – you can nominate by emailing your details to [E-Mail not displayed];
  4. Let us know if you would like to be involved in local meetings to discuss Award proposals.

If you have any questions, or you wish to discuss this matter, please contact Brendan Edghill at the HSU on 1300 478 679 or email [E-Mail not displayed].

If you or your colleagues are not members, you can join the HSU online by going to