NNSWLHD: Possible incorrect gradings, Medico Legal Staff
Published December 8, 2020
The HSU has been made aware of the potential incorrect gradings of Medico Legal Staff across the LHD.
From what the HSU has learned, the majority of staff employed to do Medico Legal duties are paid as Admin Officer Level 3. However, the technical aspect of the role could be interpreted as being an Admin Officer Level 4.
Below is what the Health Employees Administrative Staff (State) Award 2019 defines as Level 4 duties:
- Working under limited direction and guidance with regard to work priorities.
- Possess organisational skills required to set priorities and monitor work flow in the area of responsibility.
- Ability to write reports, documents and correspondence, including drafting complex correspondence for senior officers, accurately and clearly.
- Carry out a variety of functions which may be complex in nature and require judgment in selecting and applying established principles, techniques and methods.
- Ability to investigate or evaluate legislation, regulations, instructions or procedural guidelines relevant to the tasks and responsibilities.
- Ability to delegate work to subordinates where appropriate.
- Carry out inspection and monitoring functions to ensure outputs are of a high quality.
- Required to carry out routine pay office duties involving the calculation of employee pays and entitlements together with provision of direct advice on pay and conditions to employees and having had a minimum of 2 years’ service carrying out these duties.
If you believe you are entitled to Level 4 grading and you believe you meet the criteria, please email [E-Mail not displayed] so further investigation can take place into your situation.
If you know someone whose duties include Medico Legal and who isn’t an HSU member, please send them this email so that they can have their say about their working future. New members can join at www.hsu.asn.au/join or call 1300 478 679.