Bupa Clemton Park: Major Workplace Change
Published December 3, 2020
It has come to the HSU’s attention that your employer is proposing to alter current contracted hours. As per Clause 7 of your Enterprise Agreement, when a definite decision has been made about introducing major workplace change, Bupa must notify and consult with the relevant employees. As HSU members, you have the option of appointing the Union as your representative for the purpose of consultation, particularly if you are impacted by the change and unable to reach a resolution.
Part of the consultation must include all relevant information about the change, including what the possible effects will be. They must also give the employee the opportunity to provide their views on the change. For some, this proposed change might result in an increase in hours, but for others it may have a significant impact financially or on their family and caring responsibilities. While it is important for members to engage in this process to better understand what is being proposed and how you are impacted, you should not feel pressured to agree or sign anything until you are confident in your decision or you have received representation.
This is also an opportunity for staff to review the hours they have been regularly working. For a casual regularly working more than 6 months without covering leave, you may be entitled to permanent part time. For permanent part time staff regularly working over their contracted hours for more than 12 months without covering leave, you are entitled to have these hours added to your contract.
Below are some points to assist with understanding your workplace rights during workplace change. Your Union is here to help you stand up for your rights.
- You have the right to be consulted about the change! Consultation includes time to consider the change, to raise concerns, and to have those concerns properly addressed.
- You have the right to say NO! Contracted hours cannot be cut without your approval. Cuts to jobs can occur, but only with a redundancy or redeployment to a comparable position.
- You have the right to representation! Ensure you are represented by the HSU when discussing major workplace change.
- You have the right to request any changes to your job be provided in writing and time to consider your response. Don’t feel rushed. Major changes to your job can have lasting impacts for you and your family.
- Join the HSU! Only HSU members get representation and advice to stand up for their rights and protect their job. Join now online www.hsu.asn.au/join or phone 1300 478 679.
If you need help or advice about a workplace change, email [E-Mail not displayed] or phone 1300 478 679. You can also contact your Organiser HyoJung Kim at [E-Mail not displayed] or 0458 012 322.