Uniting Edina: Major Workplace Change
Published January 22, 2021
The Health Services Union has been notified that a significant workplace change will be introduced at Uniting Edina Aged Care facility. Uniting management has advised that two staff briefing sessions will be held on 27th of January 2021 at 10:45am and 2:00pm, which will be followed by individual meetings in February. Your local HSU Organiser HyoJung Kim will be attending the staff briefings.
As per Clause 47 of the Uniting Aged Care Enterprise Agreement (NSW) 2017, as HSU members, you have the right to appoint a representative for the purpose of consultation – particularly if you are impacted by the change and unable to reach a resolution.
Consultation must include all relevant information about the change, including what the possible effects will be. Management must also give the employee the opportunity to provide their views on the change. While it is important for members to engage in this process to better understand what is being proposed and how you are impacted, you should not feel pressured to agree or sign anything until you are confident in your decision or you have received representation.
This is also an opportunity to review the hours you have been regularly working. A casual regularly working more than 6 months without covering leave may be entitled to permanent part time. Permanent part time staff regularly working over their contracted hours for more than 12 months without covering leave are entitled to have these hours added to their contract.
Below are some points to assist with understanding your workplace rights during workplace change. Your Union is here to help you stand up for your rights.
You have the right to:
- Be consulted about the change – consultation includes time to consider the change, to raise concerns, and to have those concerns properly addressed.
- Say no – contracted hours cannot be cut without your approval. Cuts to jobs can occur, but only with a redundancy or redeployment to a comparable position.
- Representation – ensure you are represented by the HSU when discussing major workplace change.
- To request any changes to your job be provided in writing and time to consider your response. Don’t feel rushed. Major changes to your job can have lasting impacts for you and your family.
- Join the HSU! Only HSU members get representation and advice to stand up for their rights and protect their job. Join now at www.hsu.asn.au/join or phone 1300 478 679.
If you need help or advice about workplace change, email [E-Mail not displayed] or phone 1300 478 679. You can also contact your Organiser HyoJung Kim at [E-Mail not displayed] or 0458 012 322.