Important information for Aged Care members in LGAs of concern
Published August 23, 2021
Over the weekend, the NSW Government handed down a public health order requiring all aged care workers who live in the following local government areas (or part of) and travel outside their LGA to either have:
- received at least their first dose of a COVID vaccination by 30 August; OR
- been issued with a medical contraindication certificate; OR
- a workplace that has introduced rapid antigen testing approved by the Chief Health Officer.
This applies to members who live in and travel outside of the following LGAs for work:
- Penrith for the following suburbs: Caddens, Claremont Meadows, Colyton, Erskine Park, Kemps Creek, Kingswood, Mount Vernon, North St Marys, Orchard Hills, Oxley Park, St Clair and St Marys.
You can see a full copy of the public health order here (section 4.3):
For members who are trying to get vaccination appointments the following clinics have been set up for aged care workers:
- OLD GUILDFORD: 702 Woodville Road (9am-5pm Mon-Fri) Call 1300 355 747
- PARRAMATTA: Suite 1/286-290 Church Street (9am-5pm Mon-Fri) Call 1300 355 747
- ASHFIELD Suite 1, Ground Floor, 260 Liverpool Rd (8am-5pm Mon-Fri) Call 1300 542 444
- RYDE: Royal Rehab Ryde, 235 Morrison Rd (9am-5pm) Call 1300 542 444
The Health Services Union has serious concerns about the implications this order has on staffing as members try to get vaccinated in time. Further, and confusingly, the government had earlier indicated that mandatory vaccinations in the aged care sector were to be introduced on 17 September. We have raised these with the both the NSW and Federal Governments and are waiting for a response.
While everyone wants to see an end to the current situation in Greater Sydney, having in place orders that potentially put both residents and workers at risk due to critical understaffing is not the solution.
If you are having difficulty getting a vaccination appointment, or have a question about the public health order, please contact the HSU Member Services Division on 1300 478 679 or [E-Mail not displayed].